Escape to Paradise: Unbelievable Bel Azur Beach Residence in Mauritius
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving HEADFIRST into the turquoise waters and sun-drenched shores of the Unbelievable Bel Azur Beach Residence in Mauritius. Forget your perfect travel blog – this is REAL, people. I’m talking a messy, honest, and hopefully hilarious review of this supposed "escape to paradise." Let’s see if it lives up to the hype, shall we?
Accessibility – Oh Boy, Where to Begin?
This is where my initial optimism took a teensy, tiny hit. Listed as "Facilities for disabled guests," I expected more detailed intel on actual wheelchair accessibility. I mean, "facilities" could mean ramps, elevators, or…a well-placed motivational poster. Sigh. You REALLY need to call ahead and grill them on specifics if accessibility is crucial. Don't just assume, like I kinda did. Rant over…for now.
On-site Accessible Restaurants/Lounges: Now, that I can't answer, but it's something you need to ask before you go.
Wheelchair Accessible: See above. Pray they have it down, or bring your own personal ramp-building team!
Internet – Bless Its Little Dial-Up Heart!
Okay, let's be real. I'm a digital nomad, addicted to my Wi-Fi like a squirrel to acorns. Free Wi-Fi in ALL rooms! Hallelujah! But…and there's always a "but," isn't there? …the internet itself was a bit of a fickle friend. Sometimes blazing fast, sometimes chugging along like a geriatric snail on a sugar rush. Meh. They tout Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services…well, good luck figuring out which of those is actually working best. Expect the occasional dropped Zoom call and a slight pang of digital withdrawal.
Things to Do – Paradise is a Busy Bee
Ways to Relax – The Spa! Oh, The Spa! Okay, I’m a spa junkie. I’ll admit it. And the Bel Azur? The Pool with a view was breathtaking. The Sauna was a sweaty, glorious haven. The Spa/sauna itself… well, let me tell you about my Body scrub. It was like a tiny, overzealous elf was elbowing me with exfoliating salts until I was practically glowing. Worth it? YES. The Massage? Pure bliss. I could have stayed there forever. I'm almost embarrassed to admit, I booked a second massage before I even checked out.
Fitness Center: Yeah, yeah, it’s there. I peeked. Looked suitably gym-ish. Actually using it? Let’s just say I prioritized the pool and the cocktails.
Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]: Gorgeous. Utterly gorgeous. The water was the exact shade of turquoise you see in the Instagrams. And the temperature? Perfection. (I did, of course, spend a solid hour just floating, gazing out at the ocean, and silently judging the people who were still working on their laptops – just kidding. Mostly.)
Cleanliness and Safety – Feeling Secure?
Anti-viral cleaning products, Breakfast in room, Breakfast takeaway service, Cashless payment service, Daily disinfection in common areas, Doctor/nurse on call, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer, Hot water linen and laundry washing, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Shared stationery removed, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment. Okay, they're REALLY taking hygiene seriously. I appreciated it, especially given the general state of the world these days. Felt safe and secure, which is HUGE.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking – Fueling the Paradise Dream
Okay, food. The blood, sweat, and tears of any vacation.
- Restaurants: They have 'em! A mix of cuisines (listed below), so you won't get bored.
- A la carte in restaurant: Got it.
- Alternative meal arrangement, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bar, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Poolside bar, Room service [24-hour], Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: Phew. A culinary kaleidoscope! I dove headfirst into the Asian cuisine – the curries were particularly divine. The Poolside bar was my happy place. Room service [24-hour]: Thank heavens! Because sometimes, you just need a burger in your bathrobe at 3 AM after a particularly boozy night.
- Food, food, food. The food was good. It was plentiful. It was… reliable. It wasn’t blow-your-mind, Michelin-star level. But it was genuinely pleasant and, let’s be honest, after a day of sun and swimming, pretty much anything tastes amazing.
Services and Conveniences – The Little Extras
- Air conditioning in public area, Audio-visual equipment for special events, Business facilities, Cash withdrawal, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center: All the usual stuff, all pretty well done. The concierge was particularly helpful and friendly, navigating a few tricky local situations for me with grace and charm.
For the Kids – Paradise Lost (…and Found?)
- Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: I traveled solo, but I saw kids happily frolicking. The Kids facilities seemed decent enough, and if you're looking for a truly family-friendly place, Bel Azur seems to cater to that.
Access – A Mixed Bag
- CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private], Couple's room, Exterior corridor, Fire extinguisher, Front desk [24-hour], Hotel chain, Non-smoking rooms, Pets allowed unavailable, Proposal spot, Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms: Feeling safe!
Getting Around – The Island Shuffle
- Airport transfer, Bicycle parking, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking: Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Airport transfer was smooth, parking was plentiful. Renting a car is probably a good idea if you want to explore, and they make it easy.
Available in all rooms – Your Home Away From Home (…More or Less)
- Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens: The rooms? Fine. Comfortable. Clean-ish. The Extra long bed was a lifesaver for this lanky human. The Blackout curtains were crucial for those lovely jetlag naps. Yes, you’ll be comfortable. But don’t expect a suite worthy of Architectural Digest. It’s perfectly functional, and hey, you're there for the beach, right?
The Big Sell: Escape to Paradise – Bel Azur Beach, Mauritius – A No-BS Offer
Okay, folks, here’s the deal: Bel Azur Beach Residence is a solid choice. It's not perfect. It has its quirks. The internet can be a beast, and you REALLY need to clarify that accessibility situation. But if you're looking for a beautiful location, with decent food, a great spa, and a place to veg out, this is it.
But here's what you need to do to capitalize now: BOOK NOW!
Why you should book now (and why you shouldn't wait):
- Limited Rooms: The best rooms with the best
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving deep into the glorious, slightly chaotic, and utterly lovable Bel Azur Beach Residence by LOV in Mauritius. Prepare for a trip itinerary that’s less "precision Swiss watch" and more "slightly caffeinated sloth with a sunburn."
(Remember: This is my experience. Yours might—and probably should—be different. That’s the beauty of travel, right?)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Banana Panic
Morning (ish): Arrive at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport (MRU). Jet lag is already trying to kill me. Seriously, what IS the deal with those long-haul flights? My brain feels like scrambled eggs. The immigration queues were brutal, a proper slow-motion crawl. But hey, the aircon was bliss compared to the airport heat outside.
Afternoon: Transfer to Bel Azur. The taxi driver, bless his cotton socks, had a lead foot and a playlist that was 90% Bollywood. It was…an experience? The initial "wow" of the Residence? Swoon. The turquoise water? Forget about it. Took my breath away. The place is seriously gorgeous, like postcard perfect. Checked in, grabbed the welcome drink - a punch thing that hit the spot. Found our apartment - ocean view, check!
Late Afternoon/Early Evening: The Banana Incident. So, I was starving. Didn't have any lunch on the plane (bad decision). Headed to the little grocery store nearby, saw a bunch of vibrant bananas. Grabbed a bunch, like a monkey getting ready for a party. Ate one. Delicious. Then another. And another. And another. Suddenly, I was staring at five empty banana peels and feeling… distinctly unwell. Let's just say, I spent the next hour contemplating the meaning of life while sprawled on the sofa, clutching my stomach. Moral of the story: Portion control, people. Portion control.
Evening: Managed to drag myself out of the banana coma. Had dinner at the Residence's restaurant. The fish was incredible - caught that day, I swear! Feeling slightly less green around the gills. Watched the sunset from the beach. Pure, unadulterated bliss. Felt a flicker of optimism about this whole "vacation" thing.
Day 2: Beach Babes & Sea Snorkels (and a minor sand-related meltdown)
Morning: Woke up determined to conquer the day. Sunscreen application was a priority this time. Spent a glorious few hours on the beach. The sand is like powdered sugar. The water is crystal clear. Tried stand-up paddleboarding. Failed miserably. Mostly spent falling into the water, which, honestly, was pretty refreshing.
Mid-Morning: The Sunscreen Snag Realized I'd forgotten to apply sunscreen to my shoulders. Now I'm a lobster with a terrible attitude. Lesson Learned: Always double-check your sunscreen coverage.
Afternoon: Snorkeling! My mask kept fogging up, but I persevered. Saw some amazing coral and fish that looked like tiny, neon rainbows. I almost ran into a turtle. It was the most majestic thing I've ever seen. Definitely the highlight so far.
Late Afternoon: Beach-related Meltdown (Part 1): Okay, so remember that perfect sand? It’s everywhere. In my hair, in my swimsuit, in places I didn't even know existed. And it itches. I swear, I spent a good twenty minutes just brushing myself off in a highly agitated state. This led to a small, internal battle of 'Am I really enjoying myself?'
Evening: Dinner at a local restaurant a short walk from the Residence. Tried the octopus curry. Spicy! Delicious! Almost burnt my tongue off. Worth it. Walked back along the beach under the stars. This, I think, is what they call "living your best life." Or maybe it's just the lack of banana-induced nausea talking.
Day 3: Exploring & The Case of the Missing Beach Towel (aka "My Brain Is a Sieve")
Morning: Hired a car and drove around, saw some beautiful places. Visit to a botanical garden. The giant water lilies were unreal. Like something out of a fairytale. I swear, I could have lived there.
Late Morning: The Beach Towel Debacle: Okay, here’s the thing: I am terrible at remembering where I put things. Left my beach towel at a completely different beach and realized this a few hours later. Cue the minor panic attack. The thought of returning to get it was exhausting, maybe I don't actually need a beach towel… right?
Afternoon: Back at Bel Azur. Soaked myself in the apartment's pool to counter the heat. This is where the true vacation bliss is.
Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Drinks at the bar (the cocktails are strong, FYI). Read a book (the one I finally remembered to bring). Actually managed to relax. Not sure how long this zen feeling will last!
Evening: Tried to cook dinner in the apartment. It was a disaster. Burnt the rice. Set off the smoke alarm. Ordered pizza. Pizza is always a good idea.
Day 4: The Catamaran Cruise & the Realisation that I Am Not, in Fact, a Sailor
Morning: Catamaran cruise! Omg, absolutely incredible. Sailing along the coast, the wind in my hair, the sun on my face… it was picture-perfect. They served lunch on board – grilled fish, salad, the works. So good!
Mid-Morning: The Sea Sickness Scare: Okay, confession time: I get seasick easily. The waves got a little rough, and… well, let's just say I spent a significant portion of the cruise clinging to the side of the boat trying not to… you know. Not pretty. Turns out, I am not a sailor.
Afternoon: Snorkeling was good, got to see the coral from a different perspective.
Evening: Back at the Residence. The sunset was spectacular. Maybe the best so far? Sat on my balcony, feeling a little seasick-ish but also immensely grateful for the experience. Ordered a very simple dinner in the apartment.
Day 5: Farewell & The Promise to Return (with a Better Banana Strategy)
Morning: One last stroll on the beach. One last swim in the pool. One last attempt to remember where I put my sunglasses (still haven't found them). Breakfast - a proper Mauritian breakfast consisting of roti, butter, and mango!
Afternoon: Packing. The most depressing part of any vacation. Saying goodbye to paradise. Seriously, I don't want to leave.
Late Afternoon/Evening: Transfer to the airport. Reflecting on all the things I did. I'd return. This time, I'll develop a foolproof banana strategy. Oh, and pack about ten extra beach towels.
Postcard: The flight home was uneventful… except for the inevitable leg cramps.
Coming back: Definitely
So, that's it. My Bel Azur experience. A bit messy, a bit silly, a bit imperfect. But honest. And, mostly, absolutely wonderful. See you back there soon, Mauritius!
Escape to Fairytale Germany: Hotel Bergschlosschen Awaits!