West Edmonton Mall Hotel: Unbeatable Deals & Luxury Await!
West Edmonton Mall Hotel: More Than Just a Room, It's a Whole Freakin' Adventure! (A Review in All Its Glorious Mess)
Okay, so you're thinking about West Edmonton Mall Hotel? Excellent choice, my friend! (Or maybe you're just researching, which is smart. I'm all for doing your homework, trust me. I spent like, three hours comparing air fryers last week. The struggle is real). Buckle up, because this isn't your average, sterile hotel review. I'm going to be brutally, honestly, and probably a little too enthusiastically transparent about my recent experience. Let's dive in, shall we?
First Impressions (and the "Oh My God, It's HUGE" Factor):
Before we even get to the room, let's be real: the mere fact that this hotel is inside West Edmonton Mall… mind-blowing. Seriously. Walking into this place is like entering a different universe. You're greeted by the gleam of polished floors and, honestly, a bit of sensory overload. The sheer scale of it hits you first. This isn't a quaint B&B. This is a full-blown, everything-you-could-possibly-want-and-more kind of experience.
(Accessibility/Navigating the Labyrinth):
Now, I'm not personally using a wheelchair, but I did take note of the accessibility. And good news! This place seems surprisingly well-equipped. Wheelchair accessible throughout, which is a major win. Elevator access is a given (thank god, because, again, HUGE). They've also got facilities for disabled guests, which I'm assuming includes accessible rooms. And, of course, the sheer volume of people means there’s plenty of staff on hand to point you in the right direction (because, seriously, getting lost in the mall is a real possibility). They’ve got those CCTV in common areas which I always appreciate because it’s like… safety buddies!
(Internet: The Essential Survival Tool):
Look, let's be honest. No matter where you are, the internet is a lifeline. And the West Edmonton Mall Hotel gets this. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Hallelujah!). So, score one for being able to stream your favorite show, or, you know, actually work. I also noticed they have Internet [LAN] if you're an old-school wired kind of person (respect!). They have Wi-Fi in public areas. And, yeah, I definitely checked the Internet services box while watching YouTube videos in the lobby and waiting for my fries to be ready.
(Rooms: My Personal Fortress of Comfort):
Okay, let's talk about the actual room. I opted for a non-smoking room (duh) – and it was surprisingly spacious and well-equipped. It was Air conditioned (crucial, especially after a day of mall madness). The bed, the Extra Long Bed was so comfy, it was like being hugged by a cloud. And I really appreciated the blackout curtains. (Seriously, they're a lifesaver for those who need to sleep off a food coma from the endless food court options). They've got all the basics: Air conditioning, a coffee/tea maker, a desk, an in-room safe box, a hair dryer, a mini bar, AND, even, gasp, bathrobes. Seriously, the bathrobes are fluffy, soft, and perfect for lounging around in. My room had a window that opens (I'm a sucker for fresh air!) and a socket near the bed which I never knew I needed so much! The complimentary tea was a nice touch when I needed a break from a day of rollercoasters.
Cleanliness (and Reassurances in a Post-COVID World):
Let's face it, cleanliness is everything these days. And I was genuinely impressed. They've got daily disinfection in common areas. My room seemed spotless. They've got those Anti-viral cleaning products, and they take this seriously. Rooms sanitized between stays, Room sanitization opt-out available (though, honestly, why would you?). Plus, Hand sanitizer is EVERYWHERE. It gave me this odd feeling of security? Like, I can finally go to the mall (or, in this case, be IN the mall) without worrying about germs. And, they have Hygiene certification!
(Dining/Drinking/Snacking: Prepare to Explode (Happily)):
Alright, this is where the West Edmonton Mall Hotel really shines. Because it’s inside the mall, it’s practically an all-you-can-eat buffet of options. There's a Coffee shop, a Snack bar, and, of course, restaurants galore. And don't forget the Poolside bar!
For the Serious Foodies: There are so many Restaurants! From Asian cuisine in restaurant and more western cuisines. The bar is good; and with a Happy hour it's even better. The A la carte in restaurant is a must. The Buffet in restaurant is a great start. I love Desserts in restaurants! I'm a big fan of trying Soup in restaurant.
Room Service? Yes, Please! They have Room service [24-hour]. I may or may not have ordered a midnight snack of pizza and fries while watching a movie. No judgment!
(Things To Do (Prepare for Sensory Overload!):
Okay, let's break down this epic list of how to unwind:
- For the Pampered: Body scrub, anyone? Or how about a Body wrap? The Spa and Spa/sauna is where to go. You've got to experience the Steamroom. You could get a Massage!
- For the Fitness Fanatics: Check out the Fitness center!
- For the Water Babies: The Swimming pool is amazing especially the Swimming pool [outdoor].
- Pool with view
- Sauna and Foot bath
Look, I'm not gonna lie, I didn't try everything. I'm a simple woman. But I know the options are vast, and honestly, trying them all would probably require a separate, week-long vacation.
(Services and Conveniences: Because Let's Face It, We all Need a Little Help Sometimes):
This hotel is a well-oiled machine. They have everything you could possibly need. There’s Air conditioning in public area. If you need help with your luggage, there’s Luggage storage. Doorman. Cash withdrawal. Concierge. Daily housekeeping. They even have a gift/souvenir shop, because, let's face it, you're probably going to want to buy something to commemorate this insane experience.
(For the Kids (and the Parents):
If you're traveling with kids, this place is a goldmine. Babysitting service? Check. Family/child friendly? Double check. I think it’s safe to say the whole mall is pretty kid-friendly, what with the water park, the amusement park, and, well, everything. Kids meal is a plus!
(Getting Around: Easy Peasy):
They've got Airport transfer! Which is great if you're coming from out of town. They also have a Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Taxi service, and Valet parking.
(Anything That Sucked? (Because I'm a Honest Friend)):
Honestly, not much. Maybe the sheer size of the mall can be a little overwhelming at first. But that's not really the hotel's fault, is it?
(The Verdict: Book It Now!)
Okay, so here's the deal: West Edmonton Mall Hotel is an experience. It's not just a place to sleep; it's a portal to a world of entertainment, delicious food, and pure, unadulterated fun. Is it perfect? No, of course not. (Perfection is boring, right? And who wants a boring hotel review?). But it's damn close. And the sheer convenience of being smack-dab in the middle of all the action? Unbeatable.
(My Unsolicited Advice, AKA The "Insider Secrets"):
- Book in advance! Seriously, this place is popular.
- Pack comfy shoes. You're going to be doing a lot of walking.
- Don't be afraid to embrace the chaos. This place is supposed to be fun!
STOP! Book Now! Exclusive Offer from the Unofficial Hotel Reviewer (Me!)
The "Mall Mayhem" Package:
- Guaranteed Room Upgrade: Get a higher-level room (with a view!) when you book through my personalized link. (Okay, I wish I had a personalized link. But trust me, you can find better deals by booking on their website!)
- Free Breakfast Buffet for Two: Fill your bellies and fuel your adventures!
- "Survive the Mall" Survival Kit: A complimentary welcome package
Operation: Edmonton - Surviving, Thriving (Maybe?), at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Phase 1: The Arrival & Disorientation (aka "Did I pack enough snacks?")
14:00 - 14:30: Check-in Chaos. Okay, first obstacle – the front desk. Always a gamble. Thankfully, Brenda (bless her heart) was working, and she actually smiled when I gave her my name. Score! The room key? Worked. The lift? Also functioning. This is already above average for my travel experiences. I swear, I once stayed at a hotel where the elevator was powered by hamsters. True story. Anyway, I get to my room and immediately start the "unpack and spread my stuff around like I own the place" ritual. This is a crucial part of feeling "at home."
14:30 - 15:00: The Room Reconnaissance. Okay, room check. Clean-ish. Standard Holiday Inn fare. Comfy bed (important), decent TV, and crucially… a functional hairdryer. This is a sign. A good omen. I immediately start arranging the snacks I packed – a questionable mix of protein bars, gummy bears, and emergency chocolate. Gotta be prepared for any emotional crisis, you know?
15:00 - 16:00: The Mall Beckons…Eventually. West Edmonton Mall. The legendary! It's the reason I'm here, right? But first… I need coffee. Desperately. A quick scout revealed a Starbucks across the parking lot. Decision made! That first sip of caffeine… bliss. Then, the internal debate begins: "Go to the mall now? Or wait? Will I get overwhelmed and run away screaming?" I settle for a short delay to build up courage.
Phase 2: Drowning in a Sea of Retail…And Maybe Ice Cream
16:00 - 17:00: Mall Exploration. The First Wave. Okay, deep breaths. I dive in. First stop, the Lego store. It's a weakness. I oohed and aahed at the enormous Millennium Falcon, then quickly remembered my budget (or lack thereof). Walked through a clothing store… everything was either too young-looking and trendy. Decided I’d probably look like a slightly deranged grandma in any of them.
17:00 - 18:00: The Food Court Debacle. Food court time! Oh, the choices… the endless, greasy choices. I wandered around, feeling increasingly anxious, and ultimately settled on something completely uninspired: a mediocre burger and fries. Lesson learned: don’t make decisions when hungry and facing a wall of neon lights. This is a life lesson, people!
18:00 - 19:00: Serendipitous Sweetness. Thank GOD for this. After the burger trauma, I accidentally stumbled upon an ice cream parlor. A double scoop of salted caramel bliss. Honestly, it saved my evening. I sat there for a glorious 20 minutes, watching people, feeling the sugar rush, and thinking, "This is what life is all about." (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration, but still!)
Phase 3: The Nightcap & Existential Dread
19:00 - 20:00: Back to the Room & Reality. The sugar rush faded, and I returned to the hotel. Exhaustion sets in. My feet hurt. The reality of tomorrow (more mall! More choices!) starts to dawn on me, and I sink into the bed. The TV feels… invasive.
20:00 - 21:00: Attempting to Relax. I turned on the channels, only to be inundated with infomercials, and reality TV shows. The mental battle starts: Should I go out for a late-night drink? Maybe I could get a massage? Or just stay in and read? The couch won. I'm weak, I admit it. The most relaxing thing I've done all day, is to order some chips from the room service menu.
21:00 - 22:00: Pre-Sleep Rituals & Inner Monologue. I take a shower, staring intensely at the cheap, hotel-grade shampoo. Try to remember what I've done all day. Begin the nightly mental checklist: did I brush my teeth? Did I call my mom? Did I remember to feel at all alive? I finally climb into bed, and the familiar thoughts of "am I living my best life?" or "does my life mean anything?" begin to surface. Classic.
22:00 onward: Good night, Edmonton. Maybe tomorrow will be better. Maybe I'll even brave the water park. Probably not.
Phase 4: The Unexpected Encore & Existential Shopping (The Next Day)
10:00 - 11:00: Breakfast? The included continental breakfast at the Holiday Inn. Is it a blessing? Or a curse? This time, I head down with high hopes, only to be disappointed by the usual suspects: sad cereal, slightly stale muffins, and lukewarm coffee. Sigh. My internal monologue – "They couldn't even get the toast right!" It's a love-hate relationship I have with breakfasts.
11:00 - 12:00: Shopping Round 2: The Deep Dive. This time, armed with coffee, I decide to tackle the mall with greater purpose. I have a mission. A goal. I will buy something (anything!) to remind me of Edmonton that isn't a generic souvenir. The search for something unique begins.
12:00 - 13:00: The Bookstore & The Spark of Hope. I've decided to start at the bookstore! Maybe I find an Edmonton-based book? Something that speaks to me? Some great writer that I don't know about? Yes! I discovered a book of Edmonton based local art, and artists. Score!! The feeling of having actually achieved something is amazing!
13:00 - 14:00: A Pizza Intermission and A Reflection. To celebrate my purchase, I decide to treat myself to a pizza. While eating, I find myself deeply thinking, is life just a series of mundane activities? Was that book purchase actually a victory? Or was it just a momentary reprieve from the crushing weight of reality?
14:00 - 15:00: The Finale: Heading back to the room after checking out, I walk by a store, that sells beautiful little trinkets. Forgetting my goal of finding anything unique, or memorable, I decide to purchase a small statue. My final memory of the day: I felt complete.
15:00 - 16:00: Departure: Check out. Brenda wasn’t there. The end!
Final Thoughts: This trip to Edmonton, and the Holiday Inn Express, was a mixed bag, like life. It was messy, sometimes depressing, occasionally glorious, ultimately… human. And in the end, isn't that what matters?
Escape to Fairytale Germany: Hotel Gasthof Post Awaits!West Edmonton Mall Hotel: Unofficial FAQs (Because Let's Be Honest, The Official Ones Are, Well... Bland)
Okay, so, *is* it really a good deal? Or is it just… WEM hype?
**Bottom Line:** Convenience tax is real, but if you're committed to the WEM experience, it's worth it. Otherwise? Weigh your options.
Which hotel is "best"? Palace, Fantasyland, or World Waterpark? And what’s the deal with those themes?
**The Palace Hotel:** This one leans slightly more upscale. Not quite as bonkers. More… sophisticated-ish. Okay, let's be honest, it still screams "WEM" but it's a bit less like a daycare. More of your "I want a decent night's sleep, and maybe a cocktail" kind of vibe. **The World Waterpark Hotel:** This is the closest to the waterpark. The biggest pro is the proximity to the waterpark! The biggest con? Well, can you guess? It might be a little wet in the area, because of the… waterpark…
**My Verdict:** If you're traveling with tiny humans, Fantasyland is a must-do *at least* once in their lives (and yours). Palace for a slightly more grown-up experience. And World Waterpark is for the hardcore water park people. Me? I actually prefer a regular room, sometimes you want to escape the themes!