Escape to Paradise: Germany's Hidden Gem, Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Germany

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Germany

Escape to Paradise: Germany's Hidden Gem, Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee: My Not-So-Secret Escape to Paradise (and Maybe Yours Too!) - A Rambling Review

Okay, so you're thinking of escaping? You're dreaming of Germany, maybe? Well, buckle up, buttercups, because I'm about to tell you about Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee. It's not a perfect place – nothing is, let's be real – but it's pretty darn close. Let's get messy, shall we?

First Impressions and (Potentially) Slippery Slopes: Accessibility & Security

Right off the bat, let's talk accessibility. I’m not in a wheelchair, but I keep an eye out for these things. Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee is mostly good. They talk a good game about being wheelchair accessible, and I did see an elevator, so that’s a massive plus. But you know how these things go, right? Sometimes “accessible” means “accessible enough for us to tick the box.” I suggest calling ahead and quizzing them, especially if you have specific needs. On the plus side, there's CCTV in common areas and outside the property, and a 24-hour front desk, so feeling reasonably safe. Oh, and important for peace of mind: They have fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, and safety deposit boxes. Thank goodness.

Cleanliness & Safety - Breathing Easier

COVID times, am I right? I'm a worrier. I'll admit it. But Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee goes above and beyond, which, honestly, calmed my frantic little heart. They've got anti-viral cleaning products coursing through their veins (metaphorically speaking, of course). They do daily disinfection in common areas, and the staff is trained in safety protocol. They even have individually wrapped food options (which, let's be honest, is a small comfort in these crazy times). They also take physical distancing of at least 1 meter seriously and offer room sanitization opt-out available. I actually found it reassuring. The hot water linen and laundry washing made me feel like everything was sparkly clean. And they have hand sanitizer EVERYWHERE. Score! Rooms sanitized between stays makes a huge difference.

The Food Game – From German Breakfast to (Potentially) International Mishaps

Ah, the food. Where to begin? Okay, let's start with the good stuff. The breakfast buffet is… well, it's a German breakfast. Think: delicious, crusty rolls, mountains of cold cuts, cheeses that'll make you weep with joy, and strong coffee to kickstart your day. There's also Asian cuisine in restaurant if you’re feeling a bit experimental. They do a buffet in restaurants, a la carte in restaurant and they offer breakfast service with breakfast in room which let’s you order it through room service [24-hour] ,which is great for those extra-lazy mornings. They have coffee/tea in restaurant, and a coffee shop, a perfect starting point of the day. However, I have to admit, the Western cuisine in restaurant sometimes leans towards bland, so bear that in mind if you’re not a fan of traditional German fare. I did try their salad in restaurant – it was simple, but fresh. And the soup in restaurant hit the spot on a drizzly afternoon. They also have a snack bar, which is always a win. Overall, the dining scene is good enough, though it could benefit from some extra zing.

My Favourite Thing: The Spa & Wellness – Where My Worries Melt Away!

Now, this is where Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee absolutely shines. Prepare yourself for a deep dive into pure, unadulterated relaxation. Let's be clear: this is the reason I'm coming back.

  • The Pool with View: Forget your troubles, and float in this indoor pool. I even think it's a swimming pool with an outdoor swimming pool for those sunny days, just to give you a variety.

  • The Sauna & Spa/Sauna: This is where I spent most of my time! The heat? Glorious. My skin? Baby soft. The steamroom? Pure bliss. I can tell you that Body scrub and body wrap is worth it!

  • Massage: Book a massage. Just do it. I went for the deep tissue (because, you know, stress) and practically melted into the table. My masseuse was a wizard… I swear!

  • Fitness center and gym/fitness: For those that can't switch of their mind.

Honestly, the Spa is the star. It's beautiful and calming, and the staff make you feel completely pampered. If you arrive slightly frazzled, you'll leave feeling like a new person.

Rooms & Amenities – Comfortable, but Not Exactly Glamorous

The rooms themselves are comfortable, but they’re not exactly showstoppers. They offer Air conditioning, Internet access – wireless, Wi-Fi [free], oh, and Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! (Hallelujah!) They have Non-smoking rooms thank goodness, and the beds are comfy (extra long bed). I loved having a reading light and blackout curtains, which are essential for a good night's sleep. There is a complimentary tea and a coffee/tea maker to wake up to in the morning. You'll be supplied with towels, slippers and bathrobes! The satellite/cable channels keep you entertained.

The in-room safe box is a nice touch, and I always appreciate a decent hair dryer. They also offer desk, making it easier to work from anywhere. They offer a refrigerator and a mini bar for any of your snacks.

Stuff to Do & Things to See – More Than Just Sunbathing!

Okay, so you're not just coming for the spa, right? You want to do things? Well, Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee has got you covered. They have bicycle parking, allowing you to explore the area. You can go for a walk on the terrace. I highly recommend exploring the surrounding area, but I'll be honest, I spent most of my time in the spa.

Services & Conveniences – The Little Things That Make a Difference

Here, I was impressed. They offer daily housekeeping, and laundry service, elevator, luggage storage and a concierge. They have a convenience store, always useful, and a gift/souvenir shop. And they offer Currency exchange and ATM/cash withdrawal. They're ready to take a payment using the cashless payment service!

For the Kids – Family Friendly, but Not Over-The-Top

They’re family/child friendly and offer babysitting service, kids facilities, Kids meal. This place is a solid choice for families.

Meeting, Banquet, and Business Amenities - Business & Pleasure?

They have meeting/banquet facilities, meeting stationery and seminars. They also offer Wi-Fi for special events, audio-visual equipment for special events, and offer on-site event hosting and outdoor venue for special events. and have a projector/LED display. They have business facilities that offer with Internet access – LAN and a Xerox/fax in business center, allowing you to combine work with pleasure. I didn’t use these services myself, but nice to know you can.

Getting Around – Easy Peasy

They offer airport transfer and taxi service. Parking is available with car park [free of charge], car park [on-site] and valet parking, so you don't have to worry about things. And they even have car power charging station!

The Quirks, the Imperfections, and the Honest Truth

Okay, here’s the real lowdown. Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee isn’t perfect. My room décor was a bit… dated. And one morning, the breakfast buffet ran out of my favourite kind of cheese. The horror! (Just kidding, mostly). And… wait for it… the Wi-Fi wasn't always lightning fast. But honestly? These are minor quibbles.

The Verdict – Go, Just Go!

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee isn’t just a hotel; it's an experience. It’s a place where you can truly unwind, recharge, and forget the world outside. It’s clean, safe, and the spa is divine. It's a bit of a hidden gem. It's where I found a moment of peace. And honestly? After the year we've all had, we all deserve a little bit of peace.

SEO Keywords:

  • Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Review
  • Germany Hotel
  • Ziegelsee Germany
  • Spa Hotels Germany
  • Lake Schwerin Hotel
  • Wheelchair Accessible Germany Hotels
  • Relaxation Germany
Celler Hof Germany: Uncover the Hidden Gem of German Wine Country!

Book Now

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Germany

Okay, strap yourselves in, buttercups. We're going on a trip to the Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee in Germany. Forget perfect itineraries, this is going to be a rambling mess of a trip – just like my brain.

The Almost-Perfect, Probably-Going-to-Fail Itinerary (Prepare for Chaos!)

Day 1: Arrival and the Illusion of Leisure (aka, Jet Lag’s Revenge)

  • Morning (Like, REALLY morning): Flight from… well, wherever I'm coming from. (Let's just say, somewhere with a serious need for a decent beer.) The flight itself? Probably a blur of questionable airline coffee, desperately trying to remember where I put my passport, and the faint, nagging suspicion I left the oven on. Crossing my fingers the luggage makes it.
  • Afternoon: Land in Germany! (Huzzah!) Taxi to the Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee. The drive? Hopefully scenic. Probably involve me staring out the window like a confused puppy, trying to remember the name of the hotel. (It's Speicher… right? God, I'm terrible at this.)
  • Late Afternoon/Early Evening: Check-in. Oh god, I hope my German is good enough to understand them. I'm already picturing myself accidentally ordering a week's supply of pickled herring instead of a room key. The room better have a decent view because I'm going to need it.
  • Evening: Nap. A glorious, glorious nap. Jet lag is a beast, a smelly, sleep-deprived beast. Followed by a somewhat coherent attempt to find food. Maybe the hotel restaurant? Or maybe stumble into some local pub, order the first thing that sounds vaguely edible, and pray. I'm already craving a Bratwurst. And a beer. Multiple beers.
  • Night: (Prognosis: Probably awake at 3 am, staring at the ceiling, battling the existential dread that only jet lag can inflict.) Try to sleep. Fail.

Day 2: Ziegelsee Adventures (and the Quest for the Perfect Pretzel)

  • Morning: Wake up (eventually) and attempt to eat breakfast. Hotels are the worst or best for this, the buffet will either be an amazing smorgasbord or a depressing wasteland of questionable sausages. Let's hope for the best.
  • Late Morning: Okay, now for some actual sightseeing. I want to explore the Ziegelsee! I'm picturing myself strolling along the shore, admiring the scenery, the epitome of a sophisticated traveler. Reality will probably involve me tripping over some cobblestone, getting hopelessly lost, and panicking about my rapidly dwindling phone battery.
  • Afternoon: The Pretzel Mission. This is crucial. I'm dedicating a significant portion of my day to finding the perfect German pretzel. Crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, with just the right amount of salt. (I might cry if I find one.) This will involve a lot of wandering, probably asking locals for recommendations (and hoping their English is better than my German, because it almost certainly will be). Expect me to have a full pretzel inventory by the of things.
  • Late Afternoon: Back to the hotel. Maybe a drink on the terrace? Reflect on the pretzel-related victories and/or failures of the day.
  • Evening: Dinner. Again. Still craving Bratwurst. Maybe I'll actually try to order it this time and not get pickled herring. Stroll around the Ziegelsee after dinner for some peace and quiet. Or maybe just collapse in bed early.

Day 3: Castle Time and Cultural Awkwardness (aka, Trying to Be Cultured)

  • Morning: (Assuming I'm not still battling jet lag) Day trip! To some castle. (I haven't picked one yet, because… planning. But a castle somewhere.) I'm envisioning myself as a history buff, all intellectual and intrigued by the architecture. More realistically, I'll probably get distracted by a squirrel, accidentally touch something I shouldn't, and embarrass myself in front of a group of schoolchildren.
  • Afternoon: Castle exploration. Take pictures. Try to read all the plaques. Actually try to learn something. (This is the "trying to be cultured" part.) Maybe buy a cheesy souvenir. I'm thinking a small porcelain knight.
  • Late Afternoon: Back to the hotel or maybe some local pub. It's time for more food and beer.
  • Evening: Reflect on the day. Maybe attempt to write some profound travel journal entries. Or just watch some TV in German and pretend I understand.

Day 4: Water Sport Fails (or Triumphs… probably fails)

  • Morning: Rent a boat. (This is ambitious.) I've always dreamed of gliding effortlessly across a serene lake, a vision of grace and nautical prowess. Reality is probably going to involve me getting tangled in the fishing line, capsizing the boat, and accidentally ending up swimming in the Ziegelsee with my luggage.
  • Afternoon: Soaked and bedraggled, or perhaps a nautical success (crossing Fingers!) Time for lunch, preferably somewhere with some hearty German food (because, you know, sustenance).
  • Late Afternoon: Relax at the hotel. Spa time, maybe? (If they have one. If not, I'll settle for a long hot shower.) Or just sit on the terrace and stare at the lake, contemplating the infinite mysteries of life (or maybe just the location of the nearest beer).
  • Evening: Pack. Try to remember where I put all my stuff. Probably leave something crucial behind. Say goodbye to the Speicher am Ziegelsee. (Until next time, which will hopefully be longer.)

Day 5: Departure (and the inevitable travel blues)

  • Morning: Final breakfast. One last attempt to conquer the buffet. Check-out. Say goodbye to the view, the pretzels, and the feeling of being somewhere other than my usual messy life.
  • Afternoon: Taxi back to the airport. Hope the flight is on time. Try not to cry (too much) about leaving. I'm already planning my return.
  • Evening: Land back home. Jet lag round two! Start planning the next trip. Because, let's be honest, I need a new Pretzel Expedition!

Things That Will Probably Go Wrong (But That's Okay!):

  • My German will be hilariously bad.
  • I will get lost. Frequently.
  • I will eat too much.
  • I will take way too many photos of seemingly mundane things.
  • I will fall in love with a German Shepherd and consider smuggling it home.
  • There will be moments of sheer, unadulterated bliss. And that's what it's all about.

This is a work in progress, a living, breathing testament to my slightly chaotic travel style. The details will evolve (or devolve!), the plans will change, and the unexpected will happen. But that's the beauty of it, isn't it? The mess, the mishaps, the memories. So, here's to the adventure!

Hannover's Hidden Gem: Unbeatable Ramada Wyndham Deals!

Book Now

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Germany

Escape to Paradise: Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee - Your Questions Answered (with a Side of Rambling)

Is this place *really* a hidden gem? Because, let's be honest, everyone says that.

Okay, okay, I get it. "Hidden gem" is like, the overused phrase of travel writing, right? But... hear me out. Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee? Yeah, it's kind of tucked away in Schwerin, Germany, like a secret handshake between the Mecklenburg lakes.

I went there with my… well, let’s call him “The Boyfriend” – you know, the one who manages to pack enough socks for a transatlantic voyage even for a weekend trip. Anyway, we drove in, expecting… well, something. What we *got* was a view that legitimately made me gasp. The lake. The hotel, this beautifully renovated old granary… it was immediately *different*. Not the same old cookie-cutter hotel experience. So, yeah, hidden gem? Maybe. It's a small chance you'd actually *find* it by accident. But worth the hunt, for sure.

What's the deal with the Ziegelsee? Is it… good? Should I bring a kayak?

The Ziegelsee is… look, the Ziegelsee is *the thing*. It's the reason you go. Seriously. I spent a good hour just staring out the window, practically drooling. It’s clean, it's vast, it's… well, it's German. Super organized. The water's pristine. You *can* swim, I *did* swim, and I’m still here to type this, so that's a win.

Kayak? Absolutely! Rent one. Do it. The hotel probably offers them, or can point you in the right direction. We, uh, didn’t. I blame The Boyfriend's meticulous packing, somehow neglecting water-based recreational gear. We just enjoyed the view, which, let me tell you… sometimes, doing absolutely *nothing* is the best kayaking option. Seriously. After a particularly hectic week, staring at the water was balm to the soul. We even saw a swan family! Like, the *actual* swan family. My inner child was thrilled.

The food? Give me the lowdown on the food. Is it worth the calories?

Okay. The food. This is a *critical* point for me (and probably for anyone who enjoys life in general). The hotel restaurant, "Weinhaus Uhle," is... well, it's good. REALLY good. But a bit of a rollercoaster. The breakfast buffet? Fantastic. Absolutely. The perfect spread. Fresh bread, cheeses, every kind of meat you could imagine. The Boyfriend lost his mind over the smoked salmon. He was, and I quote, “in heaven”.

Dinner, though... it varied. One night, the scallops were perfect. Tender, seared just right, heaven on a plate. The next night? The schnitzel was a little… dry. Honestly, I think they were having an off-night, because the service every night was lovely and they really wanted to please. And the wine list? Excellent. I went a little overboard, shall we say. But, hey, vacation, right? Mostly worth the calories. You're in Germany, so embrace the carbs, I say!

The Rooms - were they actually as stylish as the photos? Or is it just another Instagram lie?

Oh, the aesthetic! Yeah, it's as good, maybe even better, than the photos. The Speicher is not your average hotel. It's a former granary so the rooms have exposed beams and big windows. Our room had this incredible view of the lake. We spent a lot of time just gazing out.

The big, fluffy bed? Yes. Luxurious. I may have tried to smuggle a pillow home. The bathroom was modern. The lighting was excellent for Instagrammable selfies (I'm just being honest, okay?). Seriously, the rooms were a highlight. I did miss a power outlet near the bed but hey! The view more than made up for it. I loved it so much.

What's the vibe? Is it romantic? Family-friendly? Just straight-up relaxing?

It’s all of the above, depending on how you play it. Couples romance? Yep. We definitely had moments of swooning over the sunset. Families? I saw a few, and the kids seemed to love it. It felt relaxed and comfortable, not fussy or formal. But, if the parents do want a child free environment, it’s possible. Just ask the room.

It’s definitely a place to unwind and recharge. Personally, I did a LOT of recharging. The spa is small but cozy. The Boyfriend, bless his meticulous little heart, was slightly disappointed there wasn’t a full-blown gym filled with every piece of equipment known to humankind. But me? I don't care. I was there to relax not work, and relaxing I did. It just felt… peaceful.

Anything you *didn't* like? Be honest.

Okay, honesty time. I mean, I *loved* it. The water? Beautiful. The service? Generally excellent. But… the Wi-Fi was a little spotty in the room at one point, which, as someone who needs to be constantly connected, was mildly maddening. I had to go downstairs to the lobby for a decent connection to upload any pictures. Yeah, first world problems, I know.

Also… this is nitpicky, but the prices, especially for the cocktails, were a tad, *ahem*, premium. But, hey, again… vacation. I’m happy with the experience; that can't be taken away. The only other thing? It’s just… a little bit of a walk into the main part of Schwerin. But, honestly, it’s a lovely walk, and you’ll probably need it after that schnitzel! So, no major complaints, really. Seriously, I'm already plotting my return.

Okay, you're back. And you can only choose ONE moment to relive. What is your choice?

This is tough! The first sunrise? Magical. The perfectly cooked scallops? Delicious.

But... if I *had* to pick ONE moment, it would be this: That first evening, after we’d unpacked, had a ridiculously good dinner (and yes, I *did* indulge in the wine), and the sun was starting to set. I was sitting on the balcony of our room, looking out over the lake. The Boyfriend was inside, fussing with his camera, trying to capture the perfect picture. The air was cool, a gentle breeze was rustling the leaves, and the sky was this incredible blend of pinksWallet Friendly Stay

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Germany

Hotel Speicher am Ziegelsee Germany